Mercy Health Pharmacy Intern - The Jewish Hospital in Cincinnati, Ohio
Pharmacy Intern - The Jewish Hospital
Job ID: 4663064
Updated: May 16, 2018
Geographic Location: Cincinnati
Location: Cincinnati, OH, United States
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Standard Hours: 20
BASIC PURPOSE : Performs technical duties, under direct supervision of pharmacist, involving compounding and dispensing medications as prescribed by physicians or other qualified prescribers.
SPECIFIC ACCOUNTABILITIES : CLINICAL/COMMUNICATION
Assist pharmacits in providing effective, appropriate, and safe pharmacy services by:
- Under the supervision of the pharmacist interprets physician's medication orders for proper dosage, frequency, and route of adminstration, and drug interactions related to a patient's diagnosis and drug allergies, to ensure rational drug therapy for maximum patient benefit.
- Contacts and confers with physicians regarding questions or irregularities on prescriptions.
- Maintains patient record system to monitor medication theraphy for safety and efficiency.
- Compounds, admixes and dispenses filled prescriptions as specified by physicians orders.
- Under the supervison of the pharmacist, monitors medication and IV therapy in conjuction wiht electrolyte reports, culture and sensitivity reports, information from the patient profile and/or medical chart.
- Provides clinical drug information to physicians and nursing staff members.
- Performs special projects or other related work as required or requested.
- Participates in drug utilization activities.
- Participates in departmental continuous improvement assurance program.
- Demonstrates competency to evaluate and provide medication therapy for: newborns, adolscent, adult and geriatric patients.
- Making rounds to the nursing units to deliver medications and pick up orders and discontinued medications.
- Fill and deliver patient medication bins, noting discrepancies and correcting as necessary.
- Restock medications via Pyxis, exchange carts and/or patient charge sheets.
- Prepare IV admixtures (LVP, IVPB, chemotheraphy, etc) using aseptic technique.
- Weighs, measures and mixes ingredients; compounding medications.
- Prepares medications for dispensing, including unit dosing and repacking medications.
- Answers telephone, receives and relays messages as necessary.
- Prepares employee/volunteer prescriptions for checking by a pharmacist.
- Participate in pharmacy orientation programs, training programs for pharmacy staff, pharmacy staff meetings, and inservice educational programs.
- Assists in maintaining the cleanliness and orderliness of the pharmacy. Follows infectdion control guidelines.
- Assists in stock control (inventorying, stocking, pricing, and monitoring usage).
- Assists in purchasing functions to maintain stock levels.
- Reorders medications and supplies as indicated.
- When necessary, unpacks, checks adn puts away medications/IV solutions/supplies.
- Inspects pharmacy inventory and removes medications that are outdated.
- Cost Containment:
- Demonstrates awareness of the budgetary process.
- Contributes to the budgetary guidelines of the department/hospital.
- Uses supplies judiciously in a cost-effective manner.
- Insures that a pharmaceuticals/supplies are charged timely and appropriately.
- Participates in JCAHO required programs and other mandatory programs.
- Exhibits knowledge and practice of hospital and department policies and procedures.
- Remains current wiht the changing field of pharmacy and demonstrates a desire for professionald competency and advancement.
- Assists with CQI/QA studies to assure the quality and appropriateness of pharmaceutical products.
EDUCATION, SPECIALIZED AND/OR TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS:
High school graduate
Pharmacy Intern’s active license or pending application
Hours: Part-Time, 20 hours, Mostly evenings 1630-2300, some days 0700-1530; 0800-1630, weekend and holiday rotation
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is our policy to abide by all Federal and State laws, as well as, the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a), prohibiting discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibiting discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
We’ll also reward your hard work with:
• Great health, dental and vision plans
• Prescription drug coverage
• Flexible spending accounts
• Life insurance w/AD&D
• An employer-matched 403(b) for those who qualify.
• Paid time off
• Tuition reimbursement
• And a lot more