BWAY Corporation Manager,Regional Safety in Cincinnati, Ohio
BWAY is one of the largest manufacturers of rigid metal and plastic containers in North America. Our diverse products and broad geographic reach have made us a market leader in the general line packaging industry. BWAY offers comprehensive packaging for a wide variety of applications. BWAY is an Equal Opportunity Employer of minorities/females/vets/disability.
The Environmental Health & Safety Manager will perform functions to manage all aspects of the safety & environmental programs for the Cincinnati, Ohio and Sturtevant, Wisconsin, plants, including but not limited to development, implementation, compliance, training and reporting. Provide direction to management on safety and health requirements and regulations. Lead the local safety and environmental programs and ensure that all programs are current. This role will be based in a 24x7 manufacturing environment. This role will report to the Plant Manager.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Lead all plant environmental, health and safety compliance and management system functions and activities; specifically, the implementation of Behavior Based Safety Program to improve overall EHS performance.
- Responsible for partnering with Ops and the Safety Committee to develop methods for keeping Safety Fresh and focused on employee engagement.
- Provide direction to plant on all EHS issues and regulatory concern by reviewing and updating written safety and health programs.
- Develop and implement EHS strategies to ensure compliance with various operating permits and regulatory compliance including ownership for leading all environmental reporting aspects of the plant.
- Participate in the engineering design of protective equipment or safety devices for machines during start up or new installation by applying psychological and physiological factors to assist in the design of safety features and controls.
- Responsible for audits development to ensure regulatory compliance across the sites.
- Initiate, design, implement, maintain and/ or monitor existing EHS programs to ensure they are comprehensive and effective; utilize peer groups to foster a “Systems Thinking” approach to Safety.
- Drive environmental compliance by compiling emissions inventories, collecting data for submission to third party vendor for permit certification, permit applications and permit reporting.
- Organizing and participating in emissions monitoring activities, reviewing and reporting emissions data and overseeing any open environmental claims
- Coordinate required OSHA training, lead and train employees in JSA’s, risk assessments and other safety training and communication
- Interface with federal, state and local environmental and safety agencies on plant issues
- Develop and deliver training and/or training tools on all relevant internal EHS initiatives and regulatory requirements including but not limited to lockout/tag-out, confined space, heat stress, hearing conservation, worker’s compensation, recordkeeping, responding to regulatory and enforcement actions to support safety and health compliance.
- Audit plant operations for Continuous Emissions monitors and emissions abatement equipment for proper operation, compliance with permits and regulations, and maintenance and preventative maintenance.
- Coordinate efforts with third party vendor to resolve out of compliance events.
- Conduct comprehensive analytical loss studies to identify areas affecting frequency and severity of worker’s compensation injuries.
- Communicate findings and solutions to appropriate management and employees.
Education and Experience:
- 5+ years providing environmental and safety functional oversight in a fast pace manufacturing environment
- Bachelor degree in Engineering, EHS or related field preferred or equivalent related experience.
- Strong training and coaching skills; ability to direct and persuade others throughout the organization.
- Proficient with various computer applications specifically Microsoft Office
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledgeable in federal, state, and local regulatory requirements for air, water and land environmental permitting
- Through knowledge of OSHA 29 CFR 1910 as well as state and local environmental regulations
- Experience in hazard recognition and abatement
Employee Type: Full-Time
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Job Type: Management
Experience: Not Specified
Date Posted: 5/12/2018